How To Pick a Mattress by Elephant Beds
Making a decision on what kind of mattress to buy for your bed can be a difficult choice. There are so many different variations, types, styles and sizes to consider that it can be hard to know which is the most suitable options. Making a decision on the size of the mattress is one thing but deciding on the firmness, brand, style etc gives you a whole manner of things to further think about.
The best place to start when buying a mattress is to know which sized mattress you would like to purchase. You most probably know if you’d like a single mattress or double mattress but what about if you’d like a queen sized bed or a king sized bed? The best thing to do is to measure your room so you are able to get an idea of how much space you have to work with. In addition to this, you may need to consider getting a new bed frame with your mattress. Many bed frames are only suitable for the mattresses that are sold with them.
If you are wondering how to pick a mattress then please get in touch with our team who will be able to answer any questions that you have- 02920 005752. They are made up of highly trained bed and mattress specialists who can give guidance on which sort of mattress you need in order to get the best nights sleep possible.
The Importance of a Suitable Mattress
Each person will spend roughly 1/3 of their life asleep. We should all be aiming to get about 8 hours sleep a night in order to function to the best of our ability but this does vary from person to person. It has been postulated that around 2/5 of us are regularly sleep deprived. This could be put down to many different factors, one being the fact that we all live very fast-paced lives.
A constant lack of sleep can have detrimental effects on one’s physical and mental health. It not only leaves you feeling exhausted but it also puts you at greater risk of depression, anxiety, weight gain and high blood pressure. Subsequently shortening your life expectancy. Moreover, there are several chronic health conditions that you can occur from lack of rest.
Sleeping position can have a huge impact on which kind of mattresses you find comfortable when sleeping. On top of this, the sort of mattress you choose can have an effect on your posture and whether you get back pain in later life.
- A firm mattress is best suited to those people who sleep on their back. A firm mattress will give the most support.
- A softer mattress is advised for those who sleep on their sides. This way your body naturally sinks into a comfortable position without getting sore pressure points like your hips and shoulders.
- Sleeping on your front is not recommended but of course, that is just the way some people sleep. If you do find yourself sleeping on your front it is advised that you sleep on a memory foam mattress.The type of mattress you find most comfortable is subjective to each person so it is important to try out each type before you make a purchase. Sharing a bed with someone who likes a different level of firmness can be an issue so it is best to try and find a happy medium.
- Continuous or open-coil mattress – This type of mattress is the most affordable of the bunch however they are often less durable than pocket springs. As the springs move as one unit, sharing a bed with someone can mean you constantly disturb each other when you move.
- Memory foam mattress – These mattresses are topped with a layer of memory foam which aims to take pressure off joints. A memory foam mattress allows you to sink into the bed and feel supported at the same time.
- Latex foam mattress – A good option for those with allergies due to their breathable and durable properties (Unless you are allergic to latex that is). Cheap versions of these mattresses can get lumpy over time.
- Pocket-sprung mattress – a pocket-sprung mattress has up to 3000 springs sewn into individual fabric pockets. They can be customised to be double sided meaning you are able to flip the mattress. In addition to this, they can come in different firmness level from soft to firm.