Kinds of Beds- Broken Down by Elephant Beds.
Sleeping is something which we need to do in order to survive. A bad nights sleep impacts on how we feel and function the next day and beyond. For this reason, it is incredibly important to find a bed and a mattress that allows you to sleep all night through and rejuvenate you for the following day.
Elephants Beds have over 25 years experience in the industry and train all our staff to be able to support you in choosing the perfect bed. We stock a huge range of different kinds of beds so you can take your pick and make sure that you are making the right decision.
Different Sizes of Beds
Single bed – Single beds are designed for one person. The average dimensions for this size of the mattress are 75″ by 39″ but can vary slightly, especially if the bed is for a child. These beds are an ideal size for 1 person. To fit more than 1 person in this sized bed would be a struggle. They are a very good option when a room has limited space and are often found in guest bedrooms. Twin XL beds are slightly longer than your standard single, providing more length for a full grown adult.
Queen bed (3/4)- A ‘small double’ bed is also known as a Queen bed of 3/4 bed. It is wider than a single, but smaller than a double and can sleep 2 persons. This is an ideal bed size when you are stuck for space and unable to fit a full sized double in a bedroom.
Double bed – Double beds are specifically designed to sleep two people although many people opt for double bed even if it is only them sleeping in it as it gives much more space. The average dimensions of a full bed are 74″ long and 54″ wide. Many people find that sharing this sized bed does not give them enough space to sleep well during the night and thus opt for a larger size.
King bed – The standard measurement for this size bed is 76″ wide by 80″ long. A king sized bed would need a large room in order to have enough space to live around it. This sized bed would be equal to putting two twin beds next to each other. This bed is perfect for couples who like to have their own space when they are sleeping.
Super King bed– This is the largest of all the bed sizes at a whopping 72″ by 78″. This bed takes up a fair bit of space and will likely only be suitable for the larger master bedrooms. Sharing a super king sized bed with someone will likely mean that you will not come into contact with them all night.
These bed sizes do vary slightly between retailers but below is a table of the approximate sizes for each bed:
|Single||3’0” x 6’3”||90 x 190 cm|
|Small Double (Queen)||4’0” x 6’3”||120 x 190 cm|
|Double||4’6” x 6’3”||135 x 190 cm|
|King Size||5’0” x 6’6”||150 x 200 cm|
|Super King Size||6’0” x 6’6”||180 x 200 cm|
There are a number of different kinds of beds that come with different features.
- Many beds come with a headboard or the ability to buy a headboard as an extra. Headboards can add to the style of your room and make your bed look that little more luxury.
- Some beds come with a footboard as well as a headboard. This is more likely seen in a traditionally styled bed rather than a modern bed.
- A platform bed has a built-in foundation that consists of either a slat support system or a solid panel foundation. It offers support for any type of mattress without the need for a box spring.
- A sleigh bed is a style of bed with curved or scrolled foot and headboards- resembling a sleigh. This bed is the result of the French and American Empire period of the early 19th century.
- The four-poster bed is a bed with four vertical columns, one in each corner, that support a tester. This tester will often have rails to allow curtains to be pulled around the bed. These beds were common in middle ages onwards.
- A canopy bed has a metal frame that supports the mattress and box spring independent of the headboard or footboard.
- Daybeds are used as beds as well as for lounging, reclining and seating in common rooms.
- A bunk bed is a type of bed in which one bed frame is stacked on top of another. A popular choice for when 2 children share a bedroom.
If you need to purchase a new bed, be rest assured that Elephant beds have the perfect one for you. A member of our professional team can support you to pick the right kind of bed using their expert knowledge. Get in touch today or come down to the store to see for yourself!